Sunday, 2 September 2012

Beach Stone Earrings

Beach Stone Earrings

Simple pebble earrings

I thought I'd put together a selection of my Beach stone earrings, since I've covered the bracelets and Pendants in previous posts.

The earrings are a favourite of mine to make. Finding two almost identical pebbles is a nerdy thrill of mine! Because I know that means another cute pair of earrings will soon be in the pipeline.

Below are some of my most simple designs and that's what I love about them, this beach stone jewellery is 'straight from the beach chic'.

When looking for these tiny beach stones I am literally paddling in the surf at the shores edge. The reason for this is that the little stones are so light that they are often floating a top the surf and are deposited right at the shoreline. Because they are wet they much more easily catch my eye than the pebbles on the beach. So, they really are straight from the surf and into my studio.

Once they are safely home, I wash and lightly polish the pebbles before pairing and drilling them. Drilling beach stones is a tricky business that I will cover in a subsequent post, but some of these little stones can be super tricky to drill!

This simple design involves nothing more than adding sterling silver jump rings and earwires. I only use sterling silver ear wires in my designs as I can't wear anything else myself. I don't like the thought of putting plated metal in my ears, and increasingly people are having bad reactions to this kind of thing.


Beach Stone earrings with sterling silver gromets and wires



This design is very similar but also includes sterling silver grommets in the drilled holes for a more refined and polished pair.


Beach Stone earrings with silver flip flops



I also like to add sterling charms to some of my designs. I think these little silver flip flops compliment the beach stones really nicely.


These pebble earrings are actually really light weight. I'm often asked if they are heavy, I guess because people expect stone to be weighty, but in actual fact they are lighter than most beaded or metal earrings of the same size. So not only are they stylish, but the only time you'll know you're wearing them is when the compliments roll in ;)


Beach Stone earrings with pink crystal stones

Another of my designs involve drilling into the pebbles a little way to set a stone into them. I think a little bit of bling makes a really eye catching statement, whilst not detracting from the stones natural beauty.

Natural Stone Earrings

I think my favourite of Coast's earring designs has to be the Cairn earrings. I love making these little pebble stack beauties. There's something about the tiny round pebbles that is just really appealing. I think like most things in minature pebbles are just cuter that way!


Cairn earrings Beach stone pebble stack earrings


Every stack is unique and I love matching similar beach stones needed to make a pair.

   
Shades of Grey :)
pebble stack earrings Cairn earrings Beach stone

I've just added a new dangley style of earrings to Coast's range.

I'm not really one for BIG or very dangley jewellery, but love to cater for every taste.


Beach stone earrings dangle drop


This following style was born from a custom request for some longer dangle beach stone earrings. I'll be adding more to this collection in the near future.


If you like what you see why not take a look at my beach stone earrings and other beach stone jewelry in my etsy store. Thanks for reading :)


27 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE the flip flop earrings!! Your photo's look so exotic - your not in the UK are you?!?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, we are in Sunny Cyprus. It's cooling down a little now and the awful humidity has lifted so we can live again!

      Delete
  2. These are so unique but I totally love them. The bling does work really well with the plain stone without distracting. I think it is amazing that you spend the time to look for pairs - especially for the cairn ones. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes the pairs are close to each other on the beach strangely1 but mostly they are paired up at home and find their perfect partners from previous hunts there.

      Delete
  3. i love them all! i think my absolute favourites are the ones with the little sparkly gem, like you say, it really compliments the natural beauty of the stones :) It must be so fun 'treasure hunting' for the perfect stones... i bet you end up collecting lots of shells and other pretty things too!

    i really look forward to hearing about how you go about drilling the stones - you can see that a lot of precision and skill has gone in to all of your designs and i'm really interested to hear about the techniques involved... (i used to work selling jewellery and studied making it for a short while so these things interest me!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie.
      There are not that many shells around on Southern Cyprus beaches, so it's all about the pebbles. Although of course the odd other thing washes up every now and again!

      I am hoping to get a tutorial of stone drilling done at some point when things calm down a little. It has taken me a while to perfect the process.

      Yes great minds DO think alike LOL. Good luck with Craftfest, your stall looks great!

      Delete
  4. I love your creations, the ones with the flip flops are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are lovely - I think the simple design of the first is my favourite.
    I was wondering as I started reading if they were heavy so glad you answered my question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people do ask that :)

      Delete
  6. I just adore the way you use pebbles. It hadn't occurred to me about getting a matching pair but I can see how it would turn into a nerdy obsession! I already have a nerdy obsession with pebbles, without having to pair them up. I would love to read more about your techniques and drilling, and also see more of the beaches where you collect them (maybe that would make up for the non-summer here in the UK).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy.
      I have one particular beach where I get most of my pebbles, but of course I can't resist hunting around wherever we go! I will keep up the beach photo's :)

      Delete
  7. I do like the ones with the sparkly bits added in. the contrast between the flat stone and shiny bits is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I like the contrast too.

      Delete
  8. I like the one with the blue bling in the best. I will look at pebbles on the beach in a new light now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aqua stones are my favourite too, they remind me of the sea here in Cyprus - exactly the same colour on a sunny day.

      Delete
  9. I love your photos. Maybe I just need to persuade my husband to let me have a holiday somewhere warm so I can photograph my jewellery in the best light. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Ha! That would be a unique excuse for a holiday! Imagine being caught at customs with a bag full of jewellery though!

      Delete
  10. I love all your earring designs, I'd hate to have to pick a favourite. I think it's lovely you get all the pebbles yourself. It makes the earring really unique.
    Thanks for sharing. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely ear rings, I look forward to your post about drilling, I've done it a few times and find it quite difficult, I find drilling slate easier. I'm another one that collects pebbles.
    I enjoy looking at your photo's, they are really beautiful.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jan, I am intrigued as to what you create with slate now? I love slate. We used to visit the Blue John mines in Wales when I was a child and I remember collecting all sorts of lovely coasters and the like made from slate. I've always loved the colour and texture.

      Delete
  12. I am just letting you know that I have nominated you for The Beautiful Blogger award. I love your jewellery and have never seen anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am honoured! Thank you so much, what a lovely thing to do! :)

      Delete
  13. ha ha! i nominated you too!! great minds think alike knitrun :)

    (its completely up to you whether you want to pass it on or not, the nomination is just my way of saying that i like what you do! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! That's really thoughtful of you! :)

      Delete