Thursday, 16 August 2012

Cairn Jewelry



Cairn Jewelry is beautifully simple, natural and steeped in tradition and symbolism. 

cairn pendant cairn necklace beach stone pendant from Coast

The word 'Cairn' in English denotes a pile or stack of stones set up as a memorial often to mark a boundary or path.

In Scotland, it is traditional to carry a stone up from the bottom of a hill to place on a cairn at its top. In such a fashion, cairns would grow ever larger.

 An old Scottish Gaelic blessing is Cuiridh mi clach air do ch├árn, "I'll put a stone on your cairn".




cairn necklace beach stone necklace from Coast inspired Jewellery
I love the symbolism this contains. Wearing a mini cairn around your neck or as ear rings is like wearing your own personal memorial! 

What will your cairn symbolise to you? 

Will it be the hurdles you have overcome in life? Each stone a step higher to where you want to be? Or will it be symbolic of the special people who have helped build with you in your life?

 

 

 

 


So simple, natural and meaningful.

 

 

 

Living in Cyprus my little explanation of 'Cairn's' wouldn't be complete without a little Greek mythology...

 

 

Cairn necklace beach stone pendant
In the mythology of ancient Greece, cairns were associated with Hermes, the god of overland travel.

According to one legend, Hermes was put on trial by Hera for slaying her favorite servant, the monster Argus.

All of the other gods acted as a jury, and as a way of declaring their verdict they were given pebbles, and told to throw them at whichever person they deemed to be in the right, Hermes or Hera.

Hermes argued so skillfully that he ended up buried under a heap of pebbles, and this was the first cairn.

My Cairn jewellery is made from Mediterranean beach stones found here on the shores of Cyprus where I live.

Sea Glass and Beach Stone Pendant
Each is carefully selected for it's smooth appearance, colour and symmetry.

I then lightly clean and polish the stones, hand drill them and assemble them into a beautiful piece of Jewellery so that my customers can carry a piece of Mediterranean beauty with them




cairn earrings beach stone earrings from Coast inspired jewellery


To view more of my Cairn and beach stone jewellery, please feel free to browse my online 'Etsy' store









Cairn earrings




19 comments:

  1. Wow. Love these on so many levels. I shall have to steer my OH towards your etsy site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, and if you have any luck with the husband steering maybe you could give some lessons on how it's done? My hub is SO bad at getting hints!

      Delete
  2. We have a very large burial cairn near us. Never knew that interesting fact with people bringing stones when they went, good idea before the invention of lorries! :0D Nice jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely jewellery. I also really enjoyed your post. How lovely to have a piece of jewellery with all that symbolism behind it. A great idea and fantastic pieces of jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful jewellery and so interesting to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stones and pebbles are so beautiful when you look closely, and I love how smooth to the touch they are too. These are very lovely pieces of jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the smoothness of the pebbles and sometimes find myself turning one in my hand like a worry bead LOL.

      Delete
  6. oooooh these are stunning! and i love the way you tell the story of cairns... i always thought that they marked where people were buried! perhaps sometimes they do as you mentioned they are used as memorials...

    i think i would see the stones on one of your beautiful necklaces as symbolic of the significant stepping stones in my life that have brought me to where i am now :)

    thanks for a thought provoking post! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jewellery is really lovely, and I really love the way you have photographed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in your work. The necklace looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great blog post - lovely to read the story of the cairns. Such beautiful jewellery. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the necklace in the second picture. Such a great use of materials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I will be making a fair few more of this style as that one proved really popular and i now sold.

      Delete
  11. Love the jewellery and it's really interesting reading about the cairns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful, and I love that you explained the story of the cairns (I had no idea what all of that symbolized, or about carrying stones up). Lovely blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your jewellery it's so beautiful, I like it vey much, I also bought one at cheap omega watches
    , If you want one too. can visit this address, The backpacks are beautiful at there. I think you will be love it too.

    ReplyDelete