Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Bizarre Beachcombing.



It's amazing what you can find on the beach.

 I stopped by Curium beach yesterday in Limassol. One of the many local pebble beaches here in Cyprus where I collect pebbles for my beach stone jewellery. It was sizzling hot and it being the Summer hol's, my little people were with me.

We were on a mission to find some medium sized pebbles for a specific craft project (Monster fridge magnets - more on this in my next post) and this beach has the perfect sized stones.

The kid's soon got hot and went back to the air-con in the car whilst I finished up collecting. Right at the sea's edge I spotted something odd....

Rare two headed Bird Skeleton found on Curium beach
 I focused and saw what looked like a bird's skeleton, amazingly preserved and calcified by the sea salt. Wow! I thought, the kid's will love this. I took a closer look and was astounded by what I saw. So much so that I took a step back. The skeleton of the bird had two tiny preserved heads and just a single clawed foot! I was a bit creeped out by it to be honest. I wanted to pick it up, but I didn't want to touch it. I needed to examine it, but the kid's needed their lunch too. I decided to take it home for a closer look.

I clearly watched too much Sinbad as a 70's child.
I looked around and spotted a driftwood stick. With the very minimal amount of touching (I think I was half expecting it's skeleton to come to life and peck me, like a scene from the old 1958 Sinbad movie)) I managed to scoop it up and pop it in a plastic bag.

"You won't believe what I've found!" I excitedly told the kid's.

 On the 10 minute drive home I am wondering how rare this finding is. A fossilized bird skeleton of some kind of mutant bird! I wonder if it has anything to do with the Japanese reactor that exploded at Fukushima? Or maybe it's some sort of dinosaur that has somehow been dislodged from it's myriad years in a watery grave to be washed up at MY feet!

I'm marvelling at the luck of my find, I'm planning on googleing the Natural History Museum in London. I'm mentally listing it on ebay.

I have already spent the thousands of pounds the sale will bring in from some wealthy American Curio collector on an upcoming Disney holiday. Or even payed off the mortgage!

Who knows just HOW rare this thing is??

When, an unwanted thought creeps in;

the one thing I hadn't yet even contemplated, but in a flash the realisation blinded me like the Cypriot Summer sun....

It's plastic isn't it.



Check out my etsy shop for more of my beach stone Jewellery

25 comments:

  1. For those of you that didn't get it. When I got home I noticed the 'Made in China' stamp under it's foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I like your sense of humour :)

    Brooke x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke. I knew that someone, some day would utter those words! ;)

      Delete
  3. lol! I actually almost fell for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, so funny!

    Although, I really do have a frog with two heads living in my garden. Really. It has one pair of back legs, one pair of front legs and looks at first glance like one frog on top of another. It (they?) seems happy enough and is surviving.

    Enjoy your beach combing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, that's amazing! Your mission is to get a photo of Freddy the schitzo frog! (He was thinking of catching some flies for lunch, but was in 2 minds about it).

      Delete
  5. Lol! We all get carried away from time to time!! Men in white coats usually!!! Lovely to dream about 'what if ...) though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to get a bit carried away with an idea. Maybe it's all part of the creative personality? :)

      Delete
  6. It can happen to the best of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lmao, love it. Even so - I think it's a funky find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny but must admit does look real sitting on the pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks very realistic! We've all done it - I remember delving down the side of my sofa, which had previously belonged to my brother and hence bug obsessed nephew and pulling out something weird, rubbery and horrible and screaming - only to find it was a giant sized rubber grasshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you had spent all the money from the sale hehe, still its a very interesting find :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Give me a minute and I've spent a million!

      Delete
  11. I think you've got too much sun in Cyprus, please can you send some to the UK. Great story I bet your kids loved the adventure of your find.
    Have a lovely week. Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That made me laugh, sorry you're not going to be an overnight millionaire tho! I'm sure that you could do something wonderful and wacky with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! oh well, at least you had an adventure! :)

    the pebbles you collected are really beautiful, i can't wait to see what you use them for x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo, i have fond memories of Sinbad from the seventies too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post!Love the pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Maybe the "Made in China" is part of the mutation! Oh my goodness! BTW I am going to have to try the sharpie/pebble idea. I ran across something about painting on rocks, but I think I might have better luck with sharpies. You gave me a good idea, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie - I just tried some rock drawing with some glitter gel pens - really effective ;)

      Delete
  17. oh my goodness, what an extraordinary finding! you're so lucky!
    my bf is a scientist, he would give his arm to find something like this!
    also, the pebbles are so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that thing would have fooled even scientist! OK so maybe in a photo on the net it doesntt look SO real (after all we all have a certain amount of scepticism about photo's on the web) but, on the beach wet and covered in pebbles and seaweed it looked very real!!

      Delete